Skip to main content (Press Enter).
Skip auxiliary navigation (Press Enter).
Skip main navigation (Press Enter).
Manage My Sections
Back to discussions
Job Posting: Collections Photographer
Job Posting: Collections Photographer
Ryn Marchese - NEDCC
Posted 26 days ago
NEDCC is hiring a full-time Collections Photographer to join the
department. Founded in 1973, NEDCC is a not-for-profit conservation and preservation services center, supporting the collections of its private and institutional clients through book, paper, and photograph conservation, digital reformatting, and preservation assistance. The successful candidate will be joining a team of experienced and productive
and will work alongside conservators and specialists dedicated to the treatment and care of the range of objects the Imaging Services department digitizes.
Link to employment page:
The Collections Photographer will be responsible for the digitization of the extensive and diverse collections held by NEDCC's institutional and private clients. These include virtually all photographic media, particularly nitrate, acetate, polyester, and glass-plate negatives and positives, photographic prints, and cased photographs; bound and loose manuscript material; rare books and illuminated manuscripts; and large format objects like maps and blueprints. To this end, the Imaging Services department utilizes PhaseOne medium format camera systems; copy stands; custom stations for imaging large format, transmissive, and bound materials; Broncolor strobes; an Epson wide format printer; Eizo displays; and a color managed workflow. While we are primarily Mac-based we also use PCs, and maintain our own network, server, and archive.
Reporting to the Director of Imaging Services, the Collections Photographer will:
• Establish ideal conditions for digitally photographing a project's specific material types
• Digitally photograph archival and special collection materials
• Apply standard post-capture image adjustments such as rotation and cropping, neutralizing color, and inverting and enhancing negatives
• On a project-by-project basis, perform complex post-capture image adjustments and processing, including file stitching for oversize materials and digital restoration of damaged materials
• Collaborate with colleagues to identify the most efficient workflows for digitizing materials safely, while also maintaining the highest standards of quality • Track project status and submit daily production reports
• Adhere to NEDCC hours of service
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Bachelor's degree in a related discipline
• 1-2 years of experience digitizing archival and special collection materials
• Proficiency in the use of imaging hardware, preferably digital medium format camera systems
• Knowledge of studio lighting equipment and techniques
• Experience using RAW workflow software such as Capture One or Lightroom
• Strong eye for color, value, composition, and visual accuracy
• Demonstrated ability to work under deadlines in a production-oriented environment
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Exceptional problem-solving skills
• Meticulous attention to detail
• Enthusiasm and creativity
Founded in 1973, the Northeast Document Conservation Center is the first nonprofit conservation center to specialize in the conservation and reformatting of paper-based materials. NEDCC's mission is to improve the preservation efforts of libraries, archives, historical organizations, museums, and other repositories; to provide the highest quality services to institutions that lack in-house conservation and reformatting facilities, or those that seek specialized expertise; and to provide leadership in the preservation, conservation, and imaging fields. Its services include book, paper, and photograph conservation; digital reformatting; audio preservation; assessments and consultations; disaster response assistance; and workshops and conferences. NEDCC is located in Andover, MA, twenty-five miles north of Boston. For more information, please visit
Only persons with the legal right to work in the United States are eligible.
The minimum salary for an entry-level candidate for this position is $42,000. Please note that this is a minimum salary, not a range. NEDCC offers competitive salaries commensurate with education, experience, and skill, as well as an excellent retirement/benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with experience. NEDCC is an equal-opportunity employer. This position will remain open until filled.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three references as a single PDF to: Terrance D'Ambrosio, Director of Imaging Services, at tdambrosio
NEDCC | Northeast Document Conservation Center
Marketing and Social Media Coordinator
New Best Answer
This thread already has a best answer. Would you like to mark this message as the new best answer?
© Copyright 2018-2020 Society of American Archivists. All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions
Privacy & Confidentiality
Powered by Higher Logic