Skip to main content (Press Enter).
Skip auxiliary navigation (Press Enter).
Skip main navigation (Press Enter).
Manage My Sections
Back to discussions
Grolier Club, NYC, Seeks Librarian
Grolier Club, NYC, Seeks Librarian
Posted Sep 06, 2022 04:33 PM
Passing this on from another list I subscribe to. What a great job this would be :)
The Grolier Club of New York invites applications for the position of Librarian.
Founded in 1884 as a cooperative reference library for the Club's bibliophile membership, the Grolier Club Library today welcomes any qualified researcher needing to explore this focused research collection-dating from the sixteenth century and earlier through the present day-of more than 150,000 volumes on the art and history of the book: bibliographies, histories of printing and graphic processes, type specimens, and fine and historic examples of printing, binding, and illustration. The Library has particularly strong holdings in the literature of collecting and the book trade, including book catalogues of all types: printed and manuscript inventories of private libraries, catalogues of antiquarian booksellers, and book auction sales. The Grolier's historical collections of book catalogues are among the most comprehensive in the US, and these, along with the papers of important bibliophiles, bibliographers, book designers, and antiquarian book dealers, have long been recognized as a major resource for collectors, and for scholars in book history. As part of a larger Club initiative, the Library is expanding its engagement with the rapidly growing body of digitized scholarship relating to the art and history of the book. The successful candidate will play a leading role in that initiative, and should demonstrate commitment to, and experience with, the use of technology to enhance Library processes, and to improve user access to its print and digital collections. The Library is the scholarly and intellectual heart of the Grolier Club, America's oldest and largest bibliophile society; and the Librarian thus plays an important leadership role within the organization, and in the larger world of books. More information on the Grolier Club and its Library can be found at
The Librarian of the Grolier Club oversees the day-to-day activities and operations of the Library. These duties fall into three general categories:
1) Management, Administration, and Leadership
* Oversee daily operations of the Library, including reader services, technical services, and collection management
* Establish priorities for the Library in alignment with the Club's strategic goals
* Prepare Library reports and grant proposals
* Hire and oversee Library staff
* Act as staff liaison to the Library Committee
* Represent the Library at professional conferences and bookish events
* Purchase non-rare and rare materials, and recommend acquisitions to the Director and the Library Committee
* Research and write about Library for print and online media; curate and mount exhibitions of Library materials, as time allows
3) Technical Services
* Process acquisitions (including gifts and purchases)
* Perform original cataloguing of rare materials
* Supervise copy cataloguing of non-rare materials
* Oversee maintenance of the online catalogue and other collection files, physical and digital
4) Public Services and Outreach
* Oversee all reference services, including remote and onsite queries
* Supervise Assistant Librarian in management of the reading room
* Teach classroom sessions with Library materials for visiting students; conduct or assist in tours or presentations of Library materials
* Maintain the Library page of the Grolier Club website, and contribute content to Library blog and social media outlets
5) Collection Management, including
* Work with the House Manager to ensure the physical well-being of the book and archival collections
* Recommend and carry out security procedures
* Coordinate the conservation program, and participate in conservation fund-raising efforts
* Oversee the shelving, shifting, and cleaning of collections, and manage offsite storage
The Librarian reports to and is supervised by the Director. The position supervises a full-time Assistant Librarian, a part-time cataloguer, a part-time library assistant, interns, and member volunteers.
Qualifications include a master's degree in library science from an ALA-accredited program (or the equivalent in education or experience), preferably with an emphasis on bibliography and/or the history of the book; at least 3 years' experience in a research library setting; experience cataloguing rare materials; knowledge of archival practice, preferably including the archiving of digital content; familiarity with online bibliographical systems; excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to work independently; strong interpersonal skills; excellent computer and web skills; supervisory experience; knowledge of Latin sufficient for cataloguing, plus reading knowledge of one or more modern foreign languages; and the physical capacity to move book trucks, lift heavy volumes, and shift archival boxes. Also desirable are an additional advanced degree in European or American history or literature; acquaintance with conservation and preservation theory and practice; and knowledge of book collecting and the antiquarian book trade.
Salary from $80,000 depending on qualifications and experience. Benefits package includes three weeks paid vacation, comprehensive health and dental care, and participation in TIAA/CREF. Evaluation of applications will begin October 3, 2022. Applicants should email a letter of application, a resume, and contact information of three references, to the attention of the Search Committee, at
The Grolier Club provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
The Grolier Club
47 East 60th Street
New York, NY 10022
phone: 212/838-6690 ext. 1
Celebrating the Art & History
of the Book Since 1884
Michele Combs | Lead Archivist
Special Collections Research Center
Visit our blog!
Syracuse University Libraries
222 Waverly Ave
Syracuse, New York 13244
t 315.443-2081 | e
| w scrc.syr.edu
New Best Answer
This thread already has a best answer. Would you like to mark this message as the new best answer?
© Copyright 2018-2020 Society of American Archivists. All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions
Privacy & Confidentiality
Powered by Higher Logic