The Knights of Columbus Supreme Council Archives is pleased to offer a paid internship for summer 2020. The position description and instructions for applying are below. Please share this information with any students you have who may be interested in such a position.
Knights of Columbus Supreme Council Archives – Summer Hire (Paid) Position Details
Position Location: New Haven, CT
Reports To: Archivist
The Archives Summer Hire will assist the Supreme Council Archivist in collecting, preserving, and sharing the Knights of Columbus' 135+ year legacy, allowing both members and the general public to forge meaningful connections with the organization's history. This is a unique opportunity for those who have an interest in fraternal organizations, religious history, and/or archives in museums.
This position provides a unique opportunity to work in an evolving corporate archive that recently has reorganized, is migrating its database to ArchivesSpace, and is migrating finding aids online. The work of the summer hire will be integral in processing the collections and establishing foundational processes and procedures for the archive to move forward.
Preference will be given to LIS or History graduate students, but undergraduates will be considered. The position is full time Monday – Friday, 8:00 – 4:30 from June 1 to July 31, 2020. This is a paid internship opportunity, out of state candidates are eligible for a housing and travel stipend, in-state candidates are eligible for a parking stipend.
The Summer Hire will be responsible for processing 6 small collections relative to Fr. McGivney and the early history of the order. The work will include the processing and rehousing of physical assets and the creation of finding aids in ArchivesSpace, a content management system (CMS).
Required Education, Skills, and Experience
- Graduate students in Library and Information Science or History with concentrations in Archival Administration or Library Science will be given priority. Undergraduate students are welcome to apply.
- Familiarity with archival best practices.
- Experience with archival processing and research.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, organize, and prioritize.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
- Familiarity with content management systems. Experience with ArchivesSpace highly desirable.
- All Summer Hires must pass a drug screening and background check before beginning work.
- Office Environment
- Moderate Lifting (15-30 lbs)
- Monday – Friday Hours
- Tobacco and Drug Free
Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Application materials are due by February 7, 2020. Position to begin June 1, 2020.